This article is for checking employee details and confirming that up to date details are being reported to the ATO.
Run the following report to identify any missing information or incorrect data entries for your employees.
- Navigate to Reports > User-defined Report > Employee Address & Tax File Number. When you run this report, blank spaces in the tax file number column is an indication that the tax file number is missing for the employee or the employee file is a duplicate in the database.
- Use this report to check that all employees are listed with their correct name, their current address, postcode and a valid tax file number (TFN).
- These will need to be corrected before your ATO payment summary production.
- For employees, without tax file numbers the following options can be entered:
- 000 000 000 – No TFN quoted by the employee.
- 111 111 111 – Employee applying for TFN.
- 333 333 333 – Employee under 18 and not earning enough to pay tax* 444 444 444 -- employee is a pensioner.
- 987 654 321 -- Alphabetic characters in quoted TFN.
*Employees have 28 days to give their payer a completed tax file number declaration form with their tax file number (TFN) on it or to claim an exemption from quoting a TFN. An exemption from having a tax file number may be claimed if the employee will not earn enough income to pay tax and they are under 18 years of age.
To Add Messages In Wagemaster
To prompt your employees to check and update their current details that you have for them, it may be an idea in the pay periods leading up to your end of the financial year to show these details on their payslips.
- Navigate to Setup > Messages > Add.
- Add a global message to all employees’ payslips asking them to let you know if their address has changed in the last 12 months or is different from that appearing on the payslip after you have followed the instructions in the next step. Employees can also check that their TFN is correct.
- Navigate to Setup > Preferences > Pay Slip Options.
- Click on Pay Slips > Pay Slip Options. Select the tick boxes to show the employees their current address and their tax file number on their payslips.
- You can also navigate to HR > User Defined Queries > Employee Tax Tables to pull a report that offers the employee's TFNs and their tax table. It will be useful if you have Holidaymakers and to check that they are on the correct Tax Table as well.
- This alternative would be useful if you have employees with a tax variation as their flat-rate tax table would be listed here. You could even filter at the top of the report so that only these employees are listed.
Often employees with tax variations need attention at the change of tax year and so this report could identify those employees who need to provide data of the variation renewal or their return to standard taxation by filtering the results as shown below.