This step is to be carried out if you are providing ATO Payment Summaries.
STP Reporting means that the distribution of ATO Payment Summaries to employees is no longer an
obligation for you as employers. The ATO assumes that employees or their tax agents access their
Income Statement via the myGov portal.
With ATO Payment Summaries being optional, there is no EMPDUPE file production. Instead,
there is the STP mark Final Pay step.
So, the order of events is:
Now that you have reconciled YTD values, produced final reports for YTD information and identified discrepancies and corrected them, you are ready to produce payment summaries. Production of payment summaries is a significant processing event. It involves more than just the production of a summary of the amounts paid to and withheld from employees over the financial year.
If you do plan to produce payment summaries this year, there are three things to consider:
- How you plan to distribute your ATO payment summaries.
- The timing of your ATO payment summary production in line with the STP Mark Final Reporting step.
- Ordering ATO Payment Summary stationery if required.
Distribution Of Your ATO Payment Summaries
You have three ATO payment summary production options:
- You can email them in PDF format to employees as per their payslip email delivery address.
- Save the summaries as PDF to an individual or common folder on your hard drive.
These options for the employees and how they will receive their ATO payment summaries will
need to be determined before ATO payment summary production. By default, all ATO payment
summaries will print if no other method has been setup for the employees.
In an STP-enabled system, there is no obligation to produce payment summaries and so you are not subject to the traditional payment summary supplied no later than the 14 July rule, though of course, your employees may still have this expectation. Employees terminated during the financial year and who do not have any reportable fringe benefits should be supplied with a payment summary within 14 days of the termination date. The payment summary records payments that you made to an employee or payee and amounts withheld over the financial year.
Before producing payment summaries we recommend taking a backup via File Manager. (You must close Wagemaster to backup your file).
Ensure you note the time the backup was made to File Manager if for any reason the process is interrupted and there is a need to reprint your summaries. You will then have the choice to either restore this backup and rerun that will untick the printed box in each employee file, enabling you to reprint your summaries. You can also leave a note on File Manager.
Two ATO Payment Summary Production Options
- You can email them in a PDF format to employees as per their payslip email delivery address.
- Print the ATO summaries.
These options for the employees and how they will receive their ATO payment summaries will need to be determined before ATO payment summary production. By default, all ATO payment summaries will print, if no other method has been setup for the employees.
To Email The ATO Payment Summary
- Ensure that you have configured your company email/proxy settings from File > Company Details > Configuration > Email/Proxy.
- You will need to ensure you have a valid email address entered for the employee. In the employee file under General > Email/Internet, ensure they have an email address.
- In addition to the above setup go to Payments > ATO Summaries > select the Delivery Options tab. In turn, ensure there is a tick against Send to Employee’s Payslip / ATOPs email delivery address.
- To have the ATO Payment Summary for an employee saved to a specified folder, once again, under Payments > ATO Summaries > Delivery Options tab and tick Save in the folder specified below.
- Print the ATO payment summaries. Go to Reports > ATO Payment Summaries > Print Individual ATO Payment Summaries.
- This launches the ATO Payment Summary Print Wizard.
- Select Next which will bring up the ATO Payment Summary General Information screen, select Next.
- In turn, this offers details of your financial year. Ensure you enter an appropriately authorised signatory for your business and your payment summary sign date.
- Select Next.
- If the employees have been allocated with a preferred method of delivery apart from printing, please tick the Use Employee destination (if specified).
- Select Next.
- The three choices of ATO payment summary delivery are represented by symbols alongside each
- You can sort the list by delivery method (e.g. printer, email, save to file) by clicking on the header above the symbols or back on employee name, to return to employee sort order. If you have selected options other than printing the ATO payment summaries, we recommend that each delivery method be completed in separate processes.
Email payment summaries in the first run, save to employee files in a second run and print in a third run. Click on Select All, or if creating in batches, ensure only the boxes for those employees you want to send in this batch are ticked.
You can then select to do a separate run for each format if required. Once you have made your choice, select Next.
Depending on the number of employees you have, or on the capabilities of your printer, if you have less than 30-40 employees, Select All. If you have more than this, we would recommend printing them in batches.
- The above Next screen offers a count for each method of delivery.
- When you select Next, the ATO payment summaries will be produced to their respective destinations.
- If any errors are present, an error log will appear (which can be printed) and these employees will not have a tick placed in their printed box within the Employee File under > Payments > ATO Summaries screen.
- You will need to identify why this error occurred, rectify it if possible, and then rerun the wizard.
- If no errors were encountered after selecting Next, the below screen will appear to advise you that the printing is complete.
Once you have produced ATO payment summaries, to reprint them you will need to restore your database or run a user-defined query to enable reprinting. If you need to rerun the wizard for all employees, run the User-Defined Query HR > User-defined > Reset Printed Flag for ATO Payment Summary.
Alternatively, restore from the backup taken before ATO payment summary production. If you need to reprint a single employee ATO payment summary:
- Go to employee's file then Payments > ATO Summaries.
- Untick the printed box as illustrated below and follow the above steps again for printing the ATO payment summaries.
- There are 2 types of payment summaries that are produced by Wagemaster. All payment summaries display whole dollar amounts only; cents are truncated.