Stock control and management record keeping is a necessary requirement of every farmer. Good management depends on the ability to manage inventories effectively.
Stock control will enable you to keep a track of your stock such as cattle and sheep as well as consumables such as fertilizer and chemicals.
Using stock control and setting up Allocations for purchases and sales of livestock will enable the stock to be tracked automatically. This same methodology can be applied to consumables if required.
Setting up and using stock control is essential if you want to use the Balance Sheet in Agrimaster.
Before producing your Stock Control Report, you will need to set up the Groups and their respective commodities and allocations before you can enter the transactions. Groups are a heading used to collect similar commodities. For example, the Group heading of Cattle may contain the following commodities: Bulls, Cows and Calves. The Group heading of Cropping may contain all the different crops you may grow and Sheep may contain Rams, Ewes, Hoggets, and Lambs.
This article covers:
- Accessing Stock Control
- Setting up Groups & Commodities
- Adding Commodities
- Entering Opening Balances & Adding Manual Transactions
Accessing Stock Control
To locate Stock Control:
- From the Home Page, click Assets & Stock
- Click on Stock Control
- You will now be on the Commodity Transactions screen
Setting up the Groups & Commodities
- From the Commodity Transactions screen (Step 3 above), click the Setup Commodities button
- You are now in the Commodity Types. Click the Modify Group List button
- The Group Headings window will open
- Select the Group Heading box and type in the group heading. In this example we will use Cattle
- Select the appropriate Balance Sheet Category. In this example we will use Livestock
- Click the green tick to save the heading
- Enter all your groups and then click the black cross to exit
Once you have set up your Group Headings, you will now be able to add commodities to your stock control
- Ensure you are in the Commodity Types window (if not then click the Setup Commodities button)
- Under the Select Group to Display field, select the required group from the drop down list and then click the Add New button
- Enter the Commodity name, the Opening Date, Unit Name and the Current Liquidation Value/Unit in the setup boxes
- Select the applicable Allocation (the selected Allocation will be highlighted)
- Click the << Include button to link to the commodity (the selected Allocation will be listed in the Linked Allocations box)
- Click the green tick to save the commodity type (the selected Allocation will be removed from the Linked Allocations box and listed in the Select Commodity to Edit box)
- Add all commodities belonging to the Group Heading, e.g. Bulls, Heifers and Steers, with links setup to the matching allocations (Repeat Steps 4-6 above as needed)
- Once you have finished adding the commodities, your new commodities will be listed in the Commodity Types screen
- Click the black cross to go back to the Commodity Transactions. The groups and commodities you have setup will also be listed here
Entering Opening Balances & Adding Manual Transactions
You should first enter an opening balance for all your commodities. You can use the same method described here to enter manual entries such as deaths, natural increases and transfers. (These movements cannot be worked out automatically from the cashbook transactions).
- Click the Add New button
- The Stock Movement window will open
- Date: Enter the date of the manual transaction
- Remark (max. 20): Select the appropriate remark to describe the stock movement
- Movement: Select the movement (increase or decrease)
- How many?: Enter the number affected by the stock movement
- Price each $: Enter the current price of the stock affected by the stock movement
- Total price $: This will automatically calculate a value based on the data entered in the previous selections when you click the green tick
- Click the green tick to save the entry
- Click the black cross to close the window and return to the Commodity Transactions window
- The entered manual transactions are listed in the Transaction List section
When you enter transactions into the cashbook using any allocations that are linked to stock control item, the movements of sales and/or purchases will be recorded automatically against the stock control item.
Use the Allocations in order for the stock control to work correctly. If you forget to add the Allocations to your cashbook transaction, you can fix this problem by adding the correct allocations using Repair Past. Once you have repaired the entries, you will need to Rebuild File to refresh the list with the repaired entries.